Full-Time HEAD CHEF – INTIMATE 5* LODGE IN THE SABI SANDS
HEAD CHEF – INTIMATE 5* LODGE IN THE SABI SANDS
(A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR SOUS CHEFS LOOKING TO ADVANCE THEIR CARREERS)
POSITION: HEAD CHEF
RESPONSIBLE TO: Camp Manager
SALARY: Negotiable dependant on prior experience.
JOB ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary responsibility of a Head Chef will be to oversee the preparation of food that comes out of the kitchen, from conception to execution. The Head Chef is to ensure that all food is prepared punctually, in accordance with menus and is of the preferred quality and taste. To ensure the kitchen environment maintains the highest hygiene standards and all staff abide by these regulations. To cultivate a positive, professional working environment within the kitchen. To manage and ensure continued on-going training of all staff. Ensuring the kitchen functions within its financial parameters regarding cost and expenditure. To be innovative, able to work unsupervised and handle pressure effectively.
DESIRABLE SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS:
• Dedicated and committed
• Trustworthy and honest
• Consistent and fair
• Respectful and supportive
• Be a proactive, hard-working, positive team player
• Practice effective time management skills
• Able to work under pressure
• Good communication skills – a basic understanding of isiZulu / xiTshonga / isiSwati will be beneficial for the applicant
• Able to lead by example and demonstrate integrity and humility.
• A formal or tertiary culinary qualification.
• English literacy level required: Must be able to read, write and speak English.
• At least 4-5 years of relevant experience (preferably in a luxury lodge environment)
• Computer literacy level required: Use of Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and stock control systems.
A head chef is effectively able to:
• Allocate daily duties for all kitchen staff.
• Daily stock control within the kitchen and issue to the other departments.
• Ensure the day’s menu is correct, announced and circulated. Any changes must be communicated to management and the correct departments.
• Production of sufficient amount of food.
• Reduction of waste, and effectively manage food to avoid expiration.
• Preparation and catering for any late arrivals.
• Innovation and creation of cuisine in line with the lodge identity.
• Attention to detail in food preparation and presentation.
• Ensure all chefs follow the applicable recipes in terms of both food preparation and presentation and assist where necessary.
• On the ground planning and execution of guest special requests e.g. birthday cakes, in-room dining etc.
• Encourage friendly and professional interaction with guests.
• Receive 15 day queries from reception, take and note of and prepare for any special requests received including dietary requirements and special occasions.
• Ensure the highest health and hygiene standards are set and adhered to in the kitchen, dining areas.
• Maintain food quality control.
• Maintain a positive work attitude and cultivate a positive, inclusive, supportive, encouraging working environment for all kitchen staff.
• Provide training for chefs i.e. in food presentation or verbal presentation of the menu to guests and potentially promote / organize further skill development of all staff as well as good health and hygiene practises.
• Record any training and development in accordance with company policies
• Maintain the departmental budget and manage your costs within these parameters.
• Ensure all food items placed in fridges are dated accordingly. Ensure and enforce that all food items are stored in the correct places under the correct temperatures in compliance with the Health & Safety regulations.
• Order, receive and store all stock items in relation to forecasted occupancies and projected menus, considering delivery dates and times of suppliers.
• Exercise strict portion control.
• Develop, have and gain knowledge of products, suppliers, prices and current stock.
• Conduct regular stock takes, including dedicated month end stock take.
• Management of non-consumable supplies such as tin foil, cling-film, kitchen towel, dish-washing liquid etc., therefore minimizing any waste.
• Manage any kitchen staff issues professionally and effectively.
• Manage leave applications in connection with human resources and operational requirements.
• Maintain clear, open lines of communication with management in relation to guest expectations and requests.
• Be open to learning, training, and exposure to new ideas and operating procedures.
• Be open to feedback and ready to accept suggestions, ideas and alternative options.
• Follow the Company Code of Conduct at all times.
• Ensure that everyone in your department follows the Disciplinary Code of Conduct at all times and any transgressions are dealt with and the correct disciplinary procedure is followed.
If you qualify and are interested please send your updated CV along with references, recent Head & Shoulder picture and food pictures to email@example.com
** Due to the high number of emails we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not received a reply within a week, please consider your application as unsuccessful
384 total views, 1 today